Village of Pecatonica Village Board met May 21
Village of Pecatonica Village Board met May 21.
Here is the minutes provided by the board:
1. Call to Order - Village President Bill Smull called the meeting to order at 6:32 p.m. on Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at Village Hall.
2. Silent moment observed.
3. The Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
4. Roll call -. Trustees Bill Determan, Kathy Doty, Marilyn Wilke, Tom Gipe, Jennifer Johnson and Paula Hachmeister were present.
Others Present: Village Clerk Gwenn Shirley, Attorney Doug Henry, Engineer Jason Stoll of Fehr-Graham (arrived at 6:42 p.m.), Police Chief Bob Smith, Temporary Public Works Director Nick Berry and Bernie Mrugala.
5. A quorum was established.
6. Additions/Corrections to the Agenda – Under Village President items add 5. Lawn of the Month Information.
7. Approval of Agenda – A motion was made by Trustee Johnson and seconded by Trustee Determan to approve the agenda as amended. Discussion. All Trustees present voted aye. Motion approved 6-0-0.
8. Call to the Public – None.
A. Village President-
1. Request for Repayment Agreement Rebecca Cassaro – Ms. Cassaro requested that her current account of $674.14 be set up on a repayment agreement due to being out of town and the door was accidently left open during the polar vortex. This caused the pipes to burst and the leak was not found for several days. Ms. Cassaro requested a twelve month repayment agreement. Village President Smull stated that the payment would be $56.18 per month in addition to the current bill and she would need to stay after the meeting or come on Wednesday to the Clerk’s office to sign the repayment agreement. Ms. Cassaro stated that she would come in the next day.
A motion was made by Trustee Determan and seconded by Trustee Johnson to approve the repayment agreement for Ms. Cassaro as presented. Discussion. All Trustees present voted aye. Motion approved 6-0-0.
2. Liaison Appointments - Village President Smull reported his Liaison appointments: Finance – Bill Determan Public Safety – Jennifer Johnson Public Works – Katy Doty
Economic Development – Marilyn Wilke, Chairman, Paula Hachmeister and Jennifer Johnson
3. Status Report on Contractors Performing Work for the Village of Pecatonica – Norwest Construction is currently working on the streets and will start the work in the alley on Wednesday. Still waiting to have Core and Main install the bay station and will probably have to adjust the plumber’s contract.
4. 150 Year Celebration Committee Report – Trustee Johnson outlined the Memorial Day weekend activities that are planned.
5. Lawn of the Month – Village President Smull stated that he would like to start an ad hoc committee to pick a lawn of the month. This will start in May and end at Christmas. Once the mowing season ended then it will go into the holiday season. This will be funded through community events and the members will be Bill Smull, Paula Hachmeister, Scott Brockway and this will start immediately. There will be a yard sign with the Village’s logo and a picture of the yard will be posted on the website.
B. Unfinished Business – None.
C. Discuss Lease Agreement with MCC Illinois LLC, A Delaware Liability Company - Attorney Henry stated that an agreement was reached. This will be presented at the June 6, 2019 Special Board meeting.
D. Legal (Attorney Henry) – No report.
E. Finance (Liaison Determan)
1. Liaison Report - Trustee Determan stated that everyone should have a copy of the current budget and the Treasurer report for review. These reports reflect today’s numbers and the appropriations will be passed at the June meeting.
2. Discuss Ordinance 2014-12 - Trustee Determan reported that when this ordinance was passed it was thought that it would be a good idea to start all of these little reserve funds. For instance, the ordinance states the Village will deposit $250 until the fund balance reaches $290,000.00. These little reserve funds are causing more problems than they are worth. We are not closing out the funds. Discussion.
A motion was made by Trustee Determan and seconded by Trustee Wilke to resend ordinance 2014-12. Discussion. A roll call vote was taken. All Trustees voted yes. Motion approved 6-0-0.
F. Planning Commission/Zoning Board
1. Next Meeting: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
G. Public Works (Liaison Johnson)
1. Liaison Report – No report.
2. Discuss Down Payment of $17,295.00 for SCADA Upgrade Software from PDC Automation –Village President Smull stated that this is the system that runs the sewer plant, maintains the water in the tower and it crashed. This is replacement of the computers and software. Temporary Public Works Director reviewed the information that was presented. Discussion.
A motion was made by Trustee Wilke and seconded by Trustee Johnson to approve the PDC contract not to exceed $35,000, authorize President Smull to immediately send 50% payment and to sign the documentation.
A roll call vote was taken. All Trustees voted yes. Motion approve 6-0-0.
3. Approve Service Box Quote from Bonnell Industries for New Public Works Service Vehicle – Village President Smull stated that this can serve as information only as this was included when we approved the total purchase of the truck to up to $60,000.
4. Engineer Report – Jason recapped the report that was presented. Village President Smull stated that the guys have struggled with the cold patch on Main between 6th and 7th. This cannot be approved tonight since it is not on the agenda, but I would like to take a straw poll in regards to how everyone would feel about repairing the pot holes in this area on Main since Norwest is already here in town working. We were given a verbal price of $3,500 for this repair and it would be a change order. Nick reported that they have attempted several times to repair this area but for some reason it keeps popping out. Village President Smull took a straw poll in regards to proceeding with this and everyone was in agreement to proceed.
Village President Smull reported that an agreement was arrived at in regards to the cost due to the Village for the Bay Valley sewer project from last year. We agreed to split the cost of the additional fees and Bay Valley issued a check for $13,000 and some change. We have since received the check and I have issued a letter to Bay Valley with Jason’s assistance for them to proceed with their parking lot. We are also in conversation to relieve the drainage problem on John Street we are going to split the cost of running sewer pipe on the north side of their property that will connect to the new sewer pipe that we are going to install going through the park. They are going to assist us again with solving another problem. The water will not go through the ComEd right-a-way it will go directly to the storm sewer.
H. Public Safety (Liaison Gipe)
1. Liaison Report – No report.
Police Chief Smith spoke on the report presented. The station renovation is about complete as some painting is going on right now and this is a huge improvement in the station. There will be an additional presence of police officers this weekend. The Sheriff’s department has offered to assign a couple of guys on Saturday and one on Friday and Monday in addition to our own guys. Also perhaps this will be a good time to restripe the line on Main between 6th and 7th since it is crowded on the side in front of the Dentist office. Nick reported that the county usually does the striping in the fall.
2. Approve Intergovernmental Agreement for Consolidated Dispatch Services – Village President Smull stated that he spoke to our county board representative Mr. Booker in regards to the Village receiving tipping fees which he was receptive to and also coming to a county board meeting to address the displeasure of the handling of the consolidated dispatch services. This is an issue that needs to be addressed with the county board.
I. Economic Development Committee (Chairman Hachmeister)
1. Next Meeting: Monday, June 10, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
2. Approve Quote from GEXPRO for Main Street Replacement Light Project for $53,900.00-
A motion was made by Trustee Wilke and seconded by Trustee Hachmeister to approve the quote from GEXPRO for $53,900.00. Discussion. A roll call vote was taken. Trustees Wilke, Hachmeister, Determan, Doty and Village President Smull voted yes. Trustee Gipe voted no and Trustee Johnson abstained. Motion approved 5-1-1.
3. Approve Quote from Lender Electric for Main Street Replacement Light Project for $40,000.00 –
A motion was made by Trustee Wilke and seconded by Trustee Johnson to approve the quote from Lender Electric for Main Street Light Installation not to exceed $40,000.00 and to authorize Village President Smull to sign. Discussion. A roll call vote was taken. All Trustees voted yes. Motion approved 6-0-0.
J. Accounting Services
1. Warrant List for April 2019 US Bank Debit Card Purchase (see attachment) $330.25-
A motion was made by Trustee Wilke and seconded by Trustee Hachmeister to approve the April 2019 US Bank Debit Card Purchases for $330.25. Discussion. A roll call vote was taken. All Trustees voted yes. Motion approve 6-0-0.
2. Warrant List for April 30, 2019 (see attachment) $43.51-
A motion was made by Trustee Determan and seconded by Trustee Wilke to approve the April 30, 2019 Warrant List for $43.51. Discussion. A roll call vote was taken. All Trustees voted yes. Motion approved 6-0-0.
3. Warrant List for May 21, 2019 (see attachment) $77,212.34-
A motion was made by Trustee Wilke and seconded by Trustee Johnson to approve the April 16, 2019 Warrant List for $77,212.34. Discussion. A motion was made by Trustee Determan and seconded by Trustee Johnson to remove Melrose Pyrotechnics Inc. #22247 for $10,000. 00 and the new amount would be $67,212.34. A roll call vote was taken. All Trustees voted yes. Motion approved 6-0-0.
A motion was made by Trustee Johnson and seconded by Trustee Gipe to approve invoice #22247 for Melrose Pyrotechnics for $10,000.00. Discussion. Trustees Doty, Wilke, Gipe, Johnson and Hachmeister voted yes. Trustee Determan voted no. Motion approved 6-1-0.
4. Payroll for Period Ending April 14, 2019 (attachment) $23,632.94 –
A motion was made by Trustee Johnson and seconded by Trustee Gipe to approve Payroll for period ending April 14, 2019 for $23,632.94. Discussion. A roll call vote was taken. All Trustees voted yes. Motion approved 6-0-0.
5. Payroll for Period Ending April 28, 2019 – (attachment) $19,047.24 –
A motion was made by Trustee Johnson and seconded by Trustee Gipe to approve the Payroll for Period Ending April 28, 2019 for $19,047.24. Discussion. All Trustees voted yes. Motion approved 6-0-0.
K. Clerk’s Items (Gwenn Shirley) No report
L. Executive Session- None
M. Adjournment –
A motion was made by Trustee Determan and seconded by Trustee Johnson to adjourn. All Trustees voted aye. Motion approved 6-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 7:54 p.m.